Nafasi Art Space – JOB OPPORTUNITY
Are you passionate about the arts? Interested in a career in arts management? Would you like to help build the visual arts programme at one of Dar’s most vibrant and active independent art spaces? Then this might be the perfect opportunity for you! Please read on for more details.
Job Title: Visual Arts Manager
Nafasi Art Space is a cultural centre for contemporary visual and performing arts in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania. Nafasi is an artist membership organisation with 37 individual and group members with a total of over 60 artists working daily at the premises. Nafasi is a working ground for the arts, as well as a place for learning, exchange, and sharing artistic work with the public.
Nafasi is looking for a visual art manager per 1 May 2017. We are seeking an energetic person to join our small but passionate team. The ideal candidate will oversee all of Nafasi’s Visual Arts programming, including the Artist studio memberships, Exhibitions (on and off site), Gallery, Trainings and Workshops, Artist in Residence programme, and Visual Artist “Hangouts”. Additionally, the VA Manager will be responsible for Community Engagement and Outreach, Audience Development, and Marketing/promotions for Nafasi’s visual art programmes.
- Initiate and design new programmes that promote and develop the artistic community.
- Contribute effectively in designing, planning, budgeting, implementation, monitoring, evaluation and reporting for visual art programmes at Nafasi
- Work closely with the director in preparing programme narrative and financial reports
- Help recruit new member artists (studio and general membership) and process membership applications Meet regularly with current artist members, ensuring the Arts space rules and regulations are upheld
- Manage artist membership agreements, fees, and participation
- Develop and organize the program for members, including trainings, workshops, exhibitions, etc.
- Develop and organise exhibitions, both onsite at Nafasi in the temporary exhibition hall and the permanent gallery, as well as off-sit exhibitions with partner venues.
- Oversee and manage the Artist in Residence programme at Nafasi
- Plan, develop, and coordinate trainings and workshops in theory, technique, and entrepreneurship in the visual arts, sometimes with external partners
- Plan and coordinate monthly public art workshops
- Schedule and coordinate ‘Artist Hangouts’ with artist members and visiting artists
- Plan and implement community outreach and engagement activities related to the visual arts
Public Relations, Audience Development, and Marketing/Promotions:
- Oversee Nafasi’s marketing and promotions for visual art activities and programmes to increase visibility and awareness of Nafasi, its members, and the visual arts in Tanzania
- To assist the Director and team in audience development initiatives
- To build and maintain excellent relations with partners and donors in the art scene in Tanzania and abroad
- Contribute to fundraising proposals and initiatives to help the art centre raise funds and operate sustainably
- Other duties may be performed, if need arises, with approval of the director.
Proven arts/culture management experience (minimum two years in equivalent position)
Passion and commitment to promoting and supporting contemporary visual arts in East Africa
In-depth knowledge of the art industry and its current events, both locally, regionally, and internationally
Degree in art history, studio art, or art criticism preferred
Fluency in English and kiSwahili
Tanzanian citizenship (no work/residence permit required)
Job Location: Mikocheni B, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Period of contract: 12 months, with potential for renewal based on job performance (with three month probationary period)
Expected start date: between 1 May – 1 June 2017
Hour/day requirements: Full time (9am – 5pm, Mon – Fri, plus Saturdays/evenings for special events)
Remuneration: Commensurate with skills/experience
Reports to: Managing Director
To apply, please send your C.V. (no more than 2 pages) and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by 31 March 2017. Only candidates under consideration for the position will be contacted for an interview.